So, I haven’t died. But it is the holiday season. Between preparing for the holidays, making stuff and working on the house, every minute seems to just evaporate. It’s unbelievable!
Since I moved into the house, I have been researching and reading a lot about interior storm windows and what to do with these old windows of mine. Primarily since last winter when I took this video and realized that I might have an issue with some of the windows in the house. Or I had a real poweful ghost. No wonder the orchid died.
Shockingly, the most common advice to owners of historic homes to KEEP the original windows whenever possible!!! I know, it seems odd. But many research studies have been done that with proper repairs and use of storm windows, the original windows can be just as efficient as a modern thermopane. Not to mention, you get to continue to enjoy the beauty of the historic window and not add to your carbon footprint by throwing the old ones away. After I decided that I wanted to try to save the windows, I found this AMAZING company called Indow Window and I was blown away!
I fell in love. Head over heels.
They will build a custom fit interior storm window for your historic homes. They even have a design that will reduce sound by 76% in your home! Sign me up!! But then they came back to me with a quote and needless to say, the sound proofing version I was interested in came back at $500 a window. So, yep…slightly out of my current budget.
This let me to digging around…and I found so many people who were in similar situations! After lots of searching, this was what I liked the best.
With their video as a guide, I started making my own storm windows about 6 weeks ago. I have been working on them here and there and I am proud to say the entire downstairs is done. Which means, only 15 more windows to go! lol!
So, my process….
Because I am such an awesome planner, when I went to Lowe’s, I was so excited about starting this project that I purchased a ton of material and then realized that I had to figure out how to fit in my poor little car.
No worries! I was able to shift and drive safely!
Once home, I set up and started to work out the template I wanted to use. I have access to all of the fun tools they used in the video, but not at my house. So, I modified the frames to the tools that I had accessible.
I initially set up and was working on them outside, but it has definitely gotten chilly enough that I had to move the factory line into the Girl Cave.
The process goes like this.
I build the wood frames. Apply the pull tabs. Line the edge with the weather proofing foam. Once I finish those steps, I take the frame to the actual window and fit it in. Then once it’s in place, I apply the plastic to the frame and finish trimming it out the plastic and using the hair dryer on it.
I have to say that so far, I really am impressed with them. They take a minimal amount of time and they are a fairly low-cost project. Since one of the goals of them is to be reusable, hopefully, they will buy me enough time until I can get the fancy ones. I even feel like they help muffle the sound from the road. Which makes me feel very optimistic when I can get to the point of putting the Indow Windows or something similar in.
So, for those of you looking to amp up the weather proofing in your home, you might want to consider this project! There are tons of videos and articles on windows! I will keep you posted on my utility bills for the future and if I see an improvement!
Peace out peeps.